Skip to main content

School Based Local Offer

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)


How does Blackshaw Lane know if a child needs SEN support?

  • A child has SEN where learning difficulties and/or disability requires special education provision- provision that is additional or different from that of their peers.


  • When pupils have identified SEND before they start here, we work with the people who already know them and use the information already available to identify what their SEN will be in our school setting.


  • Through continual assessment it may become clear that your child is not making enough progress and may require something additional to or different from their peers.


  • If you think your child has SEN, the class teacher is the first port of call. The class teacher will discuss this with you and investigate. We will share what we discover with you, agree what we will do next and what you can do to help your child.


How will Blackshaw Lane support my child?

  • We are child and family centred so you will be involved in all decision making about your child’s support.


  • Class teacher and parents will meet to discuss any cause for concerns.  Strategies will be put in place and a date to review these will be set.


  • If significant progress is not made then the class teacher will discuss this with the SENCo and a meeting will be arranged with parents.


  • A decision will be made as to whether your child is deemed to require SEN support and a Person Centred Review will shortly follow.


  • Support will be based around your child’s individual needs.  This will include the class teacher/ teaching assistant or specialist agency, small group/1-1 support.


How we adapt the curriculum so that we meet SEN

  •  We strive to ensure every child’s needs are met; emotionally, physically and intellectually.


  •  All staff are trained to make materials and ‘work’ easier or more challenging so that every child is able to learn at their own pace and in their own way.


  •  We use a number of approaches to teaching e.g.Numicon, See & Learn, BLAST, Alpha to Omega, Word Shark.


What training have the staff supporting children with SEND had?

  •  All staff are continually updating their skills and qualifications


  •  The SENCo ensures staff receive any training they may need in supporting children with SEND.


How we assess pupil progress towards the outcomes we have targeted for pupils. How we review this progress so that pupils stay on track to make at least good progress. (including how we involve pupils and their parents/carers)

  •  We use PIVATS to assess progress that is in smaller steps and at a slower pace than the usual national curriculum.


  • Target Tracker will also be used by class teachers.


  • We check how well a pupil understands and makes progress in each lesson.


  •  We will hold a Person Centred Review termly or more often if needed and review outcomes with all adults involved with your child. Where appropriate your child will attend their review.


What equipment or resources we use to give extra support

  •  We use workstations, visual timetables, PECS, countdown timers, move ‘n’ sit cushion, therapeutic putty, oral sensory bracelets.


  • We use switches for pupils who have physical needs.


  • We use angle boards, specialist equipment/books for visually impaired.


  • We have a medical room equipped with a hoist.


  • Radio system for hearing impaired.


  • Our school is fully accessible.


What extra support we bring in to help us meet SEN:  Specialist services, external expertise and how we work together collaboratively

Traded Services – QEST & Education Psychology

Multidisciplinary is in place to ensure provision meets the needs of children with SEN.  We work with a range of external agencies including; other schools, special schools, secondary schools, health and social services and LEA.

We work with the following:

Pam Hutchinson – QEST

Virginia Maka – Education Psychologist

Various- Speech & Language, OT and Physio Therapists

Healthy Young Minds

Jo Gregory - School Health Advisor

Early Help and Positive Steps

Dr Howard – Paediatric Consultant

Visual Impairment Team

Keryn Green – Advisory teacher for Physical disabilities

Nuala MaCauley – Teacher of the Deaf (Hearing Impairment)


Extra-curricular activities available for pupils with SEN


  • We have a number of before and after school activities.  All pupils with SEN are included, we provide support if needed.


  • We have regular educational visits. Pupils with SEND are always included in these. We choose visits that are accessible to all.


How we support pupils in their transition into our school and when they leave us


  • We visit the setting that the child is coming from and speak to adults who know the child well.


  • We plan transition visits-as many as needed. 


  • We liaise with the next setting and share information.


How additional funding works

  • Schools receive funding for all pupils including those with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities and they meet pupil’s need from this. The local authority may contribute if the cost of meeting an individual pupil’s needs is more than £10,000 per year.


  • If the assessment of a pupil’s needs identifies something that is significantly different to what is usually available, there will be additional funding allocated. Parents will have a say in how this is used. You will be told if this means you are eligible for a personal budget. This must be used to fund the agreed plan.


Where parents/carers can get extra support

  •  There are a number of parent support groups.
  •  Oldham’s parent/carer forum is called POINT (Parents of Oldham in Touch). This is an umbrella organisation for all parents and carers of children & young people with Special Educational Needs, disabilities and complex medical needs. They work with Oldham Council, education, health and other providers to make sure the services they plan and deliver meet the needs of disabled children and families.


What to do if  you are not satisfied with a decision or what is happening (for parents)

  • Your first point of contact is always the person responsible – this may be the class teacher, the SENCo or the Head teacher. Explain your concerns to them first. If you are not satisfied that your concern has been addressed speak to the Head teacher then ask for the school Governors representative.


Head teacher : Mrs Beverley O’Neill

SENCo : Mrs Joanne Rodgers

SEND Governor : Mrs Joan Marshall


  • If your concern is with the local authority, contact the Complaints and Representations Officer, contact details as follows:

Complaints and Representations Officer

PO Box 40
Level 8, Civic Centre
West Street
Oldham, OL1 1XJ

Tel: 0161 770 1129


Oldham Local Offer     

Oldham SEND Information Advice and Support (IAS) Service (formerly Parent Partnership Services) offers free, impartial and confidential advice, information and support to parents and carers about special educational needs.

Oldham SEND Information Advice and Support (IAS) Service   
Italia House,
Pass Street
Oldham, OL9 6HZ
0161 667 2055


OMBC - SEND Reforms, FAQ's