Skip to main content


Free School Meals


If you think you can apply for Free School Meals, you need to complete an application form online and submit it to Access Oldham.

  • Application Form (PDF) - primary and secondary (link below)

You do not need to re-apply for free school meals every year unless your circumstances change.



You can apply for free school meals if:

1) Your child attends a school maintained by a local education authority and you and your child live in the Oldham borough. (If you do not live in Oldham and your child attends a local authority maintained school in Oldham please contact your local council for advice).

2) You receive any of the following:

  • Income Support (IS)
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA)
  • An income-related employment and support allowance
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Child Tax Credit (provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit) and have an annual income (as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs) that does not exceed the current year’s level
  • The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Working Tax Credit during the four-week period immediately after your employment finished, or after you start to work less than 16 hours per week.
  • Universal Credit


  • You, as the parent or guardian, must Receive Child Benefit for the child you are responsible for.
  • Children who receive IS or IBJSA in their own right are also entitled to receive free school meals.
  • Children who receive “education suitable for children who have not attained compulsory school age” will still need to satisfy the additional requirement of “receiving education both before and after the lunch period”, before being eligible to receive free school meals.



If you or your child’s circumstances change free school meals may be withdrawn, the most common reasons include:

  • The parent or guardian ceases to receive a qualifying benefit
  • The child leaves school
  • The family move out of the borough
  • The child goes onto packed lunches (long term)
  • The child is absent from school for a long period of time

All changes of circumstance must be reported by the claimant (schools can also report changes of circumstance).

Contact for free school meals: